Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - April 2000

[sharechat] Warning on AIRVB

From: "simon dallimore" <smndallimore@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2000 09:21:00 NZST

Talking about profit-taking on FLP now, I sold my AIRVB at 2.65 after being
quite disturbed by the huge buying up of AIRVB shares in the past few weeks
obviously by an institution, institutions or even BRY.
In the past week for instance, an average of 1.5million AIRVB shares have
been bought daily by such interests. How do I know this? How many of us can
afford to buy AIRVB at 100000, 150000, 200000, 250000 blocks? In one case it
was a buy of 1000000 at 2.50 (from memory)! It is obvious that BRY need
extra B shares to hand over to a potential buyer, and the recent buying
spree will see it obtain the extra shares through an off-the-market deal
with a major institution or institutions. This would also eliminate the need
for a more costly "stand in the market".
The signs are there and I wasn't prepared to hang about. The only benefiters
from a future AirNZ deal will be the major institutions who would by now
have sufficient B shares to sell to BRY in a private deal.
Each to our own but don't expect AIRVB to go rocketing up when a deal is
announced because for it to zoom up, you will need buyers. And if BRY is not
buying from the ordinary investor, I seriously doubt whether there will be
much movement in the stock.

Simon.