Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - March 2000

RE: [sharechat] beautydirect

From: "Gordon King" <gordon.k@clear.net.nz>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 19:16:15 +1300

Oh dear, sorry to offend Patricia.  As I said, I could be wrong, and I clearly separated issues from speculation.  Regarding prospectuses, like politicians its not what's said that's important.

My comments stand.  The entry barriers for a venture such as this are v. v. low.  What happens when [insert dominant NZ beauty parlour merchant] or Drugstore.com, in a search for global sales decides to enter and start marketing or setting up logistic partnerships.

Also $US42 million valuation.  Honestly, what market size is being served there.  Care needed in making comparisons.  Assume NZ market is 1% US market, hold market share/turnover relative and you get valuation of...$420,000...on the comparison assessment.  Yes I understand they have Asia/Pacific/Global aspirations, but, immediately a whole lot more competitors.

Again I come back to the competitive advantage.  Is it a rock solid exclusive supply agreements or not.

Finally, one person's badmouthing is another's scepticism.  This is the first of the real .com e-commerce offerings, so its inevitable that it gets looked closely at.

Regards
Gordon