Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - January 2000

Re: [sharechat] BRY DIV

From: "Suren Kumar" <surenkumar@clear.net.nz>
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2000 22:05:49 +1100

David,
Just poking my nose in between on Cap Gains Tax(CGT). Your situation will be
taken in the context of the portfolio of shares you hold and shares you
sold. For the shares you hold they will be called unrealised Captial Gains.
There is no tax to be paid on these if you do not consider yourself an
active trader. However, if you are an active trader then those unrealised
Capital Gains become taxable. For BRY shares the Capiatl Gains I suspect
will be Realised Capital Gains. These will be taxable as any other income.
However if you have had other losses during the course of the tax year then
you may not have to pay the tax as you will be in a tax loss situation.

Hope this is of help to you.

Cheers
Suren