Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - December 1999

Re: [sharechat] DFMS Technology Index

From: "Ben Dutton" <bendutton@sharechat.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 12:37:39 +1300

Hi Paul,

Out of those choices, here are my favourites and why.

ADV: Probably one of the few e-commerce companies in the world to be
actually making a profit (and a pretty good one at that).  Proven management
and growth record.

ITC: Very solid management: a completely transformed company from old.  Jeff
Dittus (CEO) a very experienced venture capitalist.  Advisory board star
studded.  Excellent investments to date: tunes.com (pay-off from sale to be
announced soon), exo-net (a NZ e-commerce company with excellent products),
100% acquisition of Terabyte Interactive (a leading interactive media
company) and a 129% payoff in the BMCMedia.com IPO.  An announcement was
made yesterday that more investments would be made before Christmas.

NGL: telecommunications company (has been targeting small businesses to
date).  Should benefit from Labour government (telco minister has said that
close attention will be paid to Telecom and their near monopoly status), has
announced purchase of an ISP and, just yesterday, the introduction of a
mobile phone service.  Competition is a stiff, but I understand that they
already have a large client base (and the backing of a Thai company).

On another note, I agree with Mr Les Mortimer's post yesterday that ITC is
undervalued compared to SMR.  I'd actually favour ITC over SMR for the long
term, after looking at the track record of their management team.  Check out
the United States: Venture Capital firms are (and have been from the start)
the driving force behind the Internet boom.  They have done extremely well
in the process.  There's no reason why this can't be repeated in Australasia
and IT Capital is positioning itself well to reap any gains.

Benjamin Dutton

(Disclosure: I have holdings in ITC and NGL but not in ADV).