Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - December 1999

RE: [sharechat] Newbie Question

From: Michael Sprott <MSPROTT@clear.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 14:11:06 +1300

Hi Paul,

There is no relationship between PER and dividend yield. Dividend yield is
the total annual dividend payment to shareholders divided by the current
market price of a stock. Think of it as the cash return that a shareholder
receives in return for the stock but based on today's share price. For
example, if Company X announces dividends in the last financial year of 3c
and that companies current share price is 72c then the dividend yield for
that company would be 4.16%. Many stocks do not issue dividends rather
investing their profits back into the company and so there is no published
div yields for these companies. Obviously the div yield will alter through
the year as a company's share price fluctuates.

I hope this helps.

Regards